I would like to be able to put binary data in Lua string literals.
Lua handles this fine, but the resulting files are hard to print
to the terminal becuase of all the non-printing characters.  If
Lua were to implement an escape sequence \xNN, where NN are two
hexadecimal digits, I could avoid this problem.  Having
format('%q', ...) implement the same dodge would be even better,
but I can live without that if I have to.

If the Lua Masters might be interested in this, I am willing
to add the code to lex.c and strlib.c.

Norman