> Instead it would do something like:
>
>   lua_printf(...)
>   lua_fprintf(stderr,...

Just to nit.  lua_fprintf( stdout, ...) is just as good as lua_printf().  No?

And since we're on the subject of things that would make embedding Lua
easier.  I think Steve mentioned this earlier, but it would be extremely
useful to have the error handler take multiple parameters so it was not
necessary to parse the char *error string to get parse error information.

So instead of something like:  lua_error_handler( char *error ) I would
have lua_error_handler( int type, char *file, int line, char *last_token);

Paul