> Now I just need to figure out why writeto() causes a memory access exception
> on popen() before I can start work on saving a Lua system image.

I think it must be peculiar to your system. This is what I get on
Solaris 2.5:

	; lua
	writeto("|wc")
	write("hello")
	writeto()
	         0         1         5

Writing to files works too. (I just checked, but I also would have
noticed my applications dumping core before now.)

Does your persistency code correctly handle multiple references to the
same object and cyclical data structures? If you need further
inspiration, you might look at the Python "pickle" module
(http://www.python.org).

Alan