I got reading a Lua system image working this morning.
The image format is crude but everything works.
I wrote it completely in Lua and can post the code if anyone's interested.

Thanks to the Alan, Pedro and Luiz for responding to my questions about
blocks - some of the ideas came in handy for dealing with linking functions.

Now I just need to figure out why writeto() causes a memory access exception
on popen() before I can start work on saving a Lua system image.

Steve Dekorte