If you want to strip comments to make the source shorter so you can embed it directly into your executable and save space…

…you could just compile it to bytecode with luac instead and load that.

(Sadly, Lua bytecode isn’t truly portable so you have to match the platform and version of compiler to the Lua runtime you embed it into. But  compiled code is generally a fair bit smaller than the source, especially if you are liberal with comments.)