On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

Lua programs are text.

My suggestion does not prevent Lua programs from being a text.

Text that needs special tools to be read has a bad smell to me.

You always need a "special tool" to read a text: your brain.
No other tools needed.

We are talking about syntax highlighting only in the context of
problem of searching for well-hidden bugs.
And syntax highlighting is really a very useful helper!

Meantime seasoned programmers could feed their programs into
computer by means of Morse code without using display at all...

should 'int' and 'size_t', in C, have the same color?

You can make two different highlighting profiles
and switch between them depending on your needs.