On 13/05/2015 16:38, Coda Highland wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 07:18:03AM -0700, Coda Highland wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 6:41 AM, Rob Kendrick <rjek@rjek.com> wrote:
On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:37:51AM -0300, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
I was pleased to get an email from a man who wanted to introduce
his son to programming using Lua. He ended his email with:

Anyway, my conclusion is this would be a good way to introduce my son to
programming, but the main obstacle is the debugging!  Throwback into the
editor would be ideal, if that could be arranged.

Come on, teach the kid the right way! Print debugging is the way to go :-)

Oscilloscope attached to a pin on the parallel port or nothing.

I have literally done exactly this before (okay, it was a GPIO pin,
not a parallel port). It's fun. :P

It is not fun.  Especially when you're using it to debug the initial
program loader on an x86 system :)

I think the not-fun-ness of that comes from the fact that you would
rather be using said x86 system instead of debugging it.

Me, I was creating (from scratch) and debugging a Linux kernel driver
for first a character LCD display and later a custom-built audio
device (which we later scrapped because you could hear the OS
context-switching as clicks in the output).

Koan for nerds: what's the sound of an OS?

Now you know the answer ;-) :-D

/s/ Adam