On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> GCC allows $ in identifiers as a C extension (which cannot be switched
> off).  Curiously, the same thing hasn't happened.

Well, people tend to keep to the standard (unless they are wedded to
GCC like the Linux kernel); I'm reluctant to use cool GCC extensions
because they will remain in the GCC ghetto (unfortunately, that
includes the very good C99 standard because MS has no interest in it).

Plus, C's limitations prevent excessive cleverness (apart from
preprocessor abuse).

I think allowing UTF-8 in all identifiers (as Dirk indicates) to be a
good customization. Most scientific programmers would like to use
Greek letters ;)

steve d.