Answering some my own question, at least for the PUC interpreter:

Based on the description of Lua 5.0: http://www.lua.org/doc/jucs05.pdf:

While locals point to the stack of their functions, upvalues have one
more level of indirection. All functions that share an upvalue share a
pointer to a struct that points to the stack (which itself contains
values). When the parent scope expires, the value is abducted by the
upvalue struct and the original stack is garbage collected.

Reading the upvaluejoin code, it seems that the implementation has
remained the same. It just changes the value of the pointer. The 5.1
debug library can already access the upvalues, it should not be too
hard to replicate the functionality. I have no idea of how to make the
GC aware of the operation, though.

-- Pierre-Yves