> From:  James McKaskill <james@foobar.co.nz>
>

>>On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>>

>>It also occurred to me that while there are probably many parts of FFI
>>which could be made more portable, there are some important operations
>>which are simply impossible to do portably at runtime in standard C.
>

>The unportable bits are:

[ List of unportable bits snipped ]

Not to hijack this thread, but since James is discussing some of the
internals I thought it might be interesting to understand why he didn't
re-use the work from a project like libffi?

Was it purely to be LuaJIT compatible or were there other factors?

Thanks,
 Thomas ... purely interested, not advocating one approach or another.