> For the other side the Makefile of Lua itself is a good
> example of how a makefile should *not* be done.

Could you please elaborate? I don't recall any major issues reported here.

The Makefiles in the Lua tarball are meant to be portable to all variants
of make that exist, not just GNU make. Just like Lua caters for ANSI C, not
GNU C. But perhaps for the Makefiles this portability is pushing it. However,
I do remember old Sun OS machines whose make was very plain. So perhaps the
question is "What is the equivalent of ANSI C for make?".