Hmm. I'd like to say a general thing about Lua 5.2.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Petite Abeille
<petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

> No. _ENV is the latest iteration of many attempt to get ride of setfenv/getfenv in 5.2.

I must say that, so far, I cannot really see the value in some of the
proposed changes of 5.2.

So Lua 5.2 breaks the most fundamental function I need for making
sandboxes (setfenv). There's new code to replace it, but people do not
seem 100% sure if it really does the same thing as setfenv. (Or do
they?)

Overall, the way I see it now, I think I'll prefer to stick to 5.1.
It's a widely accepted standard, and all the programs, libraries,
extensions out there are built for it.

Agreeing on a stable standard library (like stdlib) and shipping it
with Lua, IMO, would be a nice addition to 5.1. But other than that:
Just leave it be. Keep the standard. Everything is good.

(OK, I read through the list of changes in 5.2 again and some
improvements do sound nice and non-problematic, like __len, __pairs
and so on. Fair enough! Still I'm not a 5.2 convertee as of now.)

> And 5.2 is a work of fiction as it hasn't been released.

Is there any kind of date yet for when they might plan to release it?
What's the development process here? I'm very curious. Roberto...?

-Stefan