On 22 February 2011 02:14, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Javier Guerra Giraldez <javier@guerrag.com> writes:
>>> I hope my lua code can be run both luajit and lua. But ffi is
>>> most attraction feature, can who do some work to port luajit ffi to lua as a
>>> extend module.
>>
>> far easier is to write two versions of your code: one with JIT+FFI,
>> one as a traditional Lua/C binding.
>
> Writing two version of one's bindings is really annoying though,
> especially for large interfaces.

Indeed it's annoying. Which is why I suspect many won't bother...

I have a sense that there's quite a divide growing between Lua and
LuaJIT. I'm fine with this in general, there have always been various
incompatible Lua spin-offs, that's what happens in the open-source
world.

However LuaJIT is so popular, and its popularity only set to increase,
I'm worried that this could be the start of fragmentation such as we
have never had to deal with before in Lua.

I don't begrudge LuaJIT its fancy features (in fact I love them, and
have plans to use the FFI for some projects). I think this is more a
community responsibility - if we don't want to be in the position 12
months down the road where half the modules available for "Lua"
actually work only on LuaJIT and the platforms it supports.

Thoughts welcomed,
Matthew