> a lot of non-USian-americans find that offensive

Hold on.  I am a Canadian, and we are not Americans.  That being said,
"random people" from some other continent might think that the USA and
'America' are the same thing, but that speaks poorly to the view la
gente de los estados unidos have towards others sharing this
continent.  Technically the americas are from Patagonia to way up
north, but north of the 49th they are called "Canada."  Everybody who
I speak to besides us though, refers to themselves as 'Americans'
which is the technical truth I suppose.

Reflex typing, from reading this thread.  I'd just not post it, but
i'm writing a blog post about the 95 theses, seems a bit hypocritical
to hold back ;)