This is all so kinf of wierd just to circumvent continue? Whats so bad
a plain continue? Or is just a arbitrary grown history of refusal
without a r real deep reason? It isn't even 5% bloating. It requires
no chance to the running VM, and the change to the parser is minimal.
The biggest impact is the new keyword, and frankly this is something
easy to fix on an existing code base "s/continue/cont/g" should do it.
And most likely 99% of the cases where someone used a variable named
"continue" its to do one of these workarounds to half-emulate a
continue.

Okay you do not need as in *NEED* continue, you can always find some
kind of workaround.  But Lua got so many other places for syntactical
sugar to make code easier to read, more elegant, easier to mantain,
why the refusal about plain continue and all this ugly workarounds,
the break/goto also doesn't help into getting better code in these
caes.

Sure coding styles are different, and every now and then someone
posts, "well I dont use continue anyway". Personally I'm coding for 20
years now, for several years I learned with this kind of toy-problems,
mini projects,etc. I never used continue, didn't even know it existed.
Then at some point (also with the dawn of the internet in large scale)
I started to analyze code of others, and have seen how they use
'continue' to make code thats better than I used to, less intendation
blocks, less temporary variables, more easy to maintain. Since then
I'm used to use it, and still find it akward Lua forces me not to. If
instead going for the absolute mininmal we might remove 'elseif' to
start with, or repeat/until loops, no one really needs as in *NEED*
them anyway, shorted function calling syntax without brackets, double
colons, etc.