Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
At the same time, we are convinced that there are situations where
those functions may be quite useful. To reconcile both views, we are
reviewing our position that the debug library should be used only for
debuging (as has already been suggested by some). The debug library
still should be used with great care and parsimony, but it is a valid
tool for metaprogramming (e.g., sandboxing) and other needs.
If you consider the Java and .Net worlds, both have APIs that allow you to query the class files/assemblies and to modify and create (emit) new code. Both also provide dedicated profiling/debugging APIs for use from C.

The Java based and .Net based APIs can, if desired also be used to create debugging tools, although that is quite
advanced compared to using the dedicated APIs that do that for you.

Why do I mention any of this? Because it seems you are now viewing the debug library in a similar way.
I think that is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Stephen