On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM, stefan <stefan@chehalispost.com> wrote:
>> 1) User registration w/profiles (avatars optional but highly desired)
>
> Sputnik does have user registration with Gravatar support.
>
>> 2) Multiple threads under multiple 'groups' or topics (a thread hierarchy)
>
> Presenting this nicely is the challenge.
>
>> 3) A global/topic search function for subject line & message text
>
> Comes out of the box, just need to customize the output.
>
>> 4) Email notification of a new message in a subscribed thread
>
> We talked about this. Anybody know how to persuade socket.smtp to work
> with secure SMTP servers?

This isn't strictly necessary.  Email account activation and
notifications work just fine without secure SMTP.  Yuri just doesn't
have access to that, and thus can't test.. which is why he came out
with that request-- as far as I understand.

>> 5) Thread subscriptions (see #4 - e.i. 'watch this thread', turns the forum
>> into a filtered mailing list in effect)
>
> Once there is extended user profile information, not difficult.
>
>> 6) BBcode or other such simple markup support
>
> Sputnik has Markdown support, but this is part of a general mechanism
> that can be extended to any markup scheme.
>
>> 7) New posts (front page shows the most recent 10/20/50 posted-in threads)
>
>> Common extras of dubious value:
> I would agree with the 'dubious' ;)
>
> steve d.
>
> PS. Some of these features in any case would be very useful in the
> Snippets site, e.g. the 'lost password' problem.

Personally, I don't see the need for a forum-like discussion when you
have an existing solution that already serves a very similar purpose
(this mailing list).  That doesn't mean there isn't one, just that in
my times visiting those forums, it didn't have the activity behind it
to justify my attention.

- Jim