KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> writes:
> Or, put it like this: I think we cannot download the package without
> going to that page.

You can certainly download it without reading the page:

   http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/qd-2.3.7.tar.gz

> Does the unmarked sources mean that we cannot disregard licensing
> policy other than what is stated in the COPYING file? Did the authors
> assert that the text of COPYING represents the licensing policy of the
> source code?

The README file does say:

   This work was supported by the Director, Office of Science, Division
   of Mathematical, Information, and Computational Sciences of the
   U.S. Department of Energy under contract number DE-AC02-05CH11231.

   See the file COPYING for license information.

[Unfortunately, it seems all too possible that the institution _does_
have "gimme money" rules in place, and the authors used the BSD license
because it's common and didn't really think too much about the issue...]

-Miles

--
Road, n. A strip of land along which one may pass from where it is too
tiresome to be to where it is futile to go.