Hi,

LUA_CPATH=/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/?.lua;/usr/local/lib/lua/5.0/?.lua;?.lua

Another thing I just noticed is that it is a *bad* idea to
mix 5.0 and 5.1 files in your path. These are not compatible
at all. Lua 5.0 will always fail to load LuaSocket if it
finds a core.so compiled for 5.1.

It looks as if core.so is in the wrong place:

andy@jenna:~$ find /usr/local -iname "*core*"
/usr/local/lib/lua/5.0/mime/core.so

There are two binary files. One of them is generated as
socket.so and the other is generated as mime.so. These are
supposed to be moved to socket/core.so and mime/core.so. If
you don't have two files, your installation is broken.

Now, this could be either my fault or your fault.
Can you check what files were produced when you used make?
That is, before installation?

Regards,
Diego.