Well, I use that code in a ScriptManager class which creates a initial lua state, so I can put in there global variables or functions. Once the initial lua state is created, you can add
children with something like this:

	Script *ScriptManager::createScript()
	{
		int top = lua_gettop(L);
		Script *script = 0;
		lua_getfield(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX, "Scripts"); // top + 1

		lua_State *thread = lua_newthread(L); // top + 2
script = new Script(thread); // this is the new lua-state for that script

		lua_newtable(L);  // a global table for this script
		lua_newtable(L);  // metatable
lua_getfenv(L,top+2); // that returns the global table (we are going to protect) lua_setfield(L, -2, "__index"); // set global table as __index of the thread
		lua_setmetatable(L, -2);

		lua_setfenv(L,top+2);  // set env of the new thread

lua_pushlightuserdata(L, script); // key, the pointer to my own Script class
		lua_pushvalue(L, top+2);          // value, the new lua thread.
		lua_rawset(L,top+1); // Scripts table
		lua_settop(L,top);

		_scriptCount++;

		return script;
	}

Script is a class that handles a single lua-state ( in fact it doesn't know that is a thread) By the way, the ScriptManager stores it's children scripts in the registry in a table called "Scripts" indexed by the
pointer of  the new Script class instance.

Jose L.