Hi,

Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > Also dlopen() is more or less universally supported in POSIX systems.
>
> But it needs an extra library (-ldl). I would prefer to keep explicit
> any option that needs an extra library to link properly.

Not on all systems. Linux is the exception rather than
the norm in this respect. Many other systems have dlopen()
integrated in libc.

But I agree that this better be made explicit. I.e.:

linux      MYCFLAGS="-DLUA_USE_POSIX -DLUA_USE_DLOPEN" MYLIBS="-Wl,-E -ldl"
posix      MYCFLAGS="-DLUA_USE_POSIX -DLUA_USE_DLOPEN" MYLIBS="-Wl,-E"

The instructions should be rephrased:

  Use "make linux" for Linux, "make osx" for Mac OS X and
  "make posix" for most other POSIX systems. If the linker
  complains about undefined symbols (in particular: "dlopen")
  then try "make linux" even on non-Linux systems.

[One could also rename the "linux" target to "posixdl" ...]

Bye,
     Mike