On 20-Aug-05, at 5:55 AM, PA wrote:

Hello,

Using Lua 5.1 (work6).

Is the string's metatable here to stay? Can I confidently convert from 'string.len( aString )' to 'aString:len()' syntax?

I think you can even use #aString with some confidence :)

If the string's metatable is a permanent feature, what is the recommended way to add new functions to it?

As far as I can see, just them to the string table:

  string.StartsWith = StartsWith

It's the same table.

Finally, should the metatable be available to string literals?

"aString":lower()

You have to put parentheses around a string constant for this to be valid syntactically:

  ("aString"):lower()