My only issue is that, as a hobbyist/independent developer, from what
I can tell about the DIGI Connect EM/ME devices is that they range
from ~$900-$1500, which is way out of my price range.

Don't get me wrong, I have worked with DIGI products quite a bit in
the past, but i would rather put out ~$200 for something like the
Ethernut board.

Ryan