Interesting discussion so far.  I did not think there would be so many mail list holdovers :)  In reality, mailing lists are in decline.  This is the last list that I belong to.  All others have finally seen the light and gone to a bulletin board format.  They offer huge advantages that cannot be ignored.

Your email address are not in full view.

No cut and paste for subjects, just click reply.

PM for directly speaking with other users.

No back and forth through a 200 line text email trying to follow the topic your are interested.

Subject areas that can be subscriped to so you get every message without even having to check.

Very easy to search, no thread disconnect because of a spelling/cut/paste error in the subject line.

When you come back to the forum and logon you can simply click view all new posts since last visit.

File attachments.

Message formating which makes including code much easier and more readable.

No maintenance like a wiki.

You can reference valuable threads with an url making it easy to point others in the right direction.

etc etc etc.

I have seen other lists debate this, and once the forum came along, the naysayers were no longer naysaying.

But, the real decision must come the Lua team - to whom I am very greatful for putting together such a great language and community.  I was more wondering if the decision to not do a forum was a cost/technical reason and not what format is superior (that's obvious!)....

<<winmail.dat>>