> If people keep asking something, it does not imply that the language
> needs that something built-in; it may mean only that it needs better
> documentation (FAQ comes to mind :) or external libraries.

Point taken - even though it is debatable :-)

I would be happy with an external library that comes standard
with the "official" Lua distribution, pointing to a FAQ which
provides the motivation and justifies the need for such a
library.

Just so that other contributors to this thread do NOT feel that I am
coping out, my acceptance (not that any good will come out of it) is
in line with my initial sentiment that I do not want to spend  time
on the discovery and decision making process (in terms of whose
implementation is better and so forth) in using this "proxy table pattern"

Vijay Aswadhati