It would be nice to be able to strip out the line number information as
well. I assume this is going to break all of the linehook and stack
retrace debugging code. This doesn't matter if you have finished
debugging a script. I assume the biggest use for linehooks is in
debuggers.

I think Rici mentioned a while ago that his style of implementation
preference would be to have a line information VM instruction, rather
than embedded line information. I suppose if you had this style you
could just omit the generation of these line instructions and Lua VM
code would be leaner. It looks like quite a task to strip out line
numbers from the current implementation though.

Nick