>Maybe the luac compiler could do some extra checks that emit these warsings?

luac uses *exactly* the same parser as the Lua core. This is a good thing (TM).
Otherwise, we'd have to have two different versions of the parser, even if in
the same source file, with #ifdefs and such. But it could be done. What might be
much more difficult is that the parser stops as soon as it finds an error. For
emitting useful warnings it would have carry on at least after warnings; I'm not
sure how much more complex this would make the parser.
--lhf