RLake@oxfam.org.uk wrote:

> That depends on what you mean by "compatible with UTF-8".

/snip
> I would advocate building Unicode libraries on top of the string datatype
> rather than as built in to the string datatype. I don't actually oppose
> Unicode but I think that it is not well-thought-out from a parsing
> perspective, and as mentioned earlier, I have many concerns about mindless
> internationalisation.
>
> Rici

So, by making strlib capable of handling UTF-8, lua would
become mostly UTF-8 compatible? That is a good point to
look into then. I still don't like the use of characters outside
the 7-bit ASCII range for variable names, but as long as nobody
is obligating me to do so, it's fine with me.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be