I wouldn't go that far.  IMHO, the wish for a tool like tolua for simple
tasks show that the API is too complex.

I do agree to an extent, and your proposals are very sensible (and independent of whether one does end up using an automatic tool). My argument is simply that since it's much easier to use a tool, this ought to be the Way Things Are Done (if it can be achieved without too much loss of efficiency, which is doubtful). For simple functions (i.e. the majority, and certainly almost all of those in the standard libraries) a much simpler tool would suffice, and could generate code pretty similar to what already exists.
--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/