I think you've identified the main issue here.  Lua is marketed as an
extension language, and thus it has attracted a different community than
Python.  We, myself included, would prefer to hide in our caves and develop
private, proprietary extensions rather than shared, public extensions.
Thus, Python will always have a wider range of 3rd party support, and a
consequently larger user base.

ashley