It's been a while since I last posted here, but...

For the love of all things holy, do not try to run your own mailing list server. It will slowly drive you mad with frustration, and is simply not worth it. Email's not what it used to be, and the big providers care deeply about things like DKIM, DMARC, SPF etc, and mailing lists simply do not function properly in this environment. If messages are forwarded without rewriting the signature, they break the signature chain and cause them to be categorised as spam... but if they're forwarded with rewriting the signature, then now the mailing list server is forging messages and trying to send them from a server which isn't authorised by the user's DKIM and they'll be treated as spam. Not to mention that any messages sent from servers on unknown IP addresses will tend to be penalised as spam because they usually are.

It is possible to make this work but it's really brittle and prone to failure. I use gmail, and for the old lua-l I have to disable antispam protection as much as possible, and I still get big banner warnings on every message saying that they look dodgy. These days running a mailing list server which actually works isn't a hobbiest job any more. Just find a big provider and use them. It'll be so much less pain, both for you and your users.

Why, yes, I did use to run one, how can you tell? (I've also written antispam software.)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 00:38, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> wrote:
Sean Conner wrote in
 <20231212094329.GA956@brevard.conman.org" target="_blank">20231212094329.GA956@brevard.conman.org>:
 |It was thus said that the Great Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo once stated:
 |>> BTW, somewhat ironically, the first few posts to the new list went \
 |>> straight to my Gmail spam
 |>> folder. I would recommend that folks look in theirs and mark the \
 |>> posts as non-spam. This is
 |>> probably just an issue at the beginning, until the spam filter is \
 |>> trained, and marking as
 |>> non-spam should help.
 |>
 |> Surprisingly, the same has happened to me today. :-(
 |
 |  And here too.  I also subscribed to the list via GMail, and all the
 |messages have ended up on the spam folder.  It's clear that the left hand
 |doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Google.  I'm not even sure all
 |the fingers on one hand at Google know what the other fingers on the same
 |hand are doing.  But I digress ...

My Microsoft Outlook test account got blocked as such after i sent
a third SMTP message with the words, "Microsoft, SMTP, please", or
something.  I would now have to givem them a phone number or such.
(Luckily i have two other accounts there, only for testing my
MUA.)

I will not subscribe there.  I track the git repo, and the manual
is pretty fine.  I guess, if the time has come to be more intimate
with Lua, i will rather switch to use #lua at Libera.Chat.  (But
a pity it really is, i am in total favour of lurking via email.)

Ciao,

--steffen