Another possible solution would be to pass no value as second argument
to __close. Functions with a signature of function(value, error) will
continue to work, since "no value / none" will automatically be
converted to nil. Functions with a signature of function(value, ...)
could however use select("#", ...) == 0 to check whether none or nil was
passed. The only downside to this would be that it kind of abuses
varargs, which is also somewhat slower than using regular arguments.