> A “smart” alternative would be this loop:
>  while true do
>    local k = next(t)
>    if not k then break end
>    t[k] = nil
>  end

The reason this code works is because `next` returns `nil` when there is no key. If you check my previous post you'll see the alternative condition you'd need to write this style of loop.

I would also point out that the quoted code from Lua performance tips is specifically referring to the pairs iteration above it, and is not really a general thing. I think your original code with the condition in the while loop – the one which starts `while bottle_count ~= 0 do` – is fine, and I'm not sure there's a performance difference here either.