I’m not sure what you are describing is a “reference manual”.

Sounds like you are after an introductory guide, maybe?

There’s the excellent Programming in Lua book for learning about the language, but it’s not free and not brief. (There’s an old version available online for free but it is based on Lua 5.0, which is a bit dated these days.)

There are also various quick reference guides written over the years by contributors on this list... maybe one of those might be helpful?