> Very nice!

Thanks!

> Your solution seems to require some manual editing of luaopen_*
> functions. Your lx_open function in each module contains some of the
> code from the luaopen function plus sometimes inside information, such
> as replicating some of what luaL_newmetatable does (as in
> complex/module.c). I wonder whether this can be avoided with some help
> from the module writer.

This is only because the calling protocol of the lx_open function
deviates from the one luaopen_* uses, i.e. luaopen_* calls the loader
and the loader constructs the module table (using luaL_newlib or
luaL_newmetatable) and returns it. lx_set_lookup_metatable
creates the module table beforehand and passes it to the loader.

But there is no compelling reason for this and it is a good idea
to change it to avoid confusion.

> Perhaps we need an extension of luaL_Reg to
> contain data types. Any thoughts?

This would probably simplify code like this in luaopen_math:

  lua_pushnumber(L, PI);
  lua_setfield(L, -2, "pi");
  lua_pushnumber(L, (lua_Number)HUGE_VAL);
  lua_setfield(L, -2, "huge");
  lua_pushinteger(L, LUA_MAXINTEGER);
  lua_setfield(L, -2, "maxinteger");
  lua_pushinteger(L, LUA_MININTEGER);
  lua_setfield(L, -2, "mininteger");

I moved those into the static table, too.