On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:
> things about a living language. My only point in all of this was that any
> version of Lua created by anyone who isn't one of the original developers
> is, by every definition I can find, creating a fork of Lua.

Although not necessarily in an interesting sense.

Doing a Github fork is obviously just a development convenience -
there is still an upstream and a desire to push things upstream.

Re-implementations of Lua exist - they remain Lua as long as they
preserve syntax and semantics.

It would be wildly exciting (in a bad way) if one of those independent
projects starting to claim that they were the new Lua, and try
mobilize community around that.