> >Though I was hoping for an example of a real world script that is not just code golf to make a larger compiled file.
> >
> >~pmd
> >

> I don't think that the example is so far away of the real world.
> Think of configuration scripts, that essentially only store options.

Two other arbitrary examples:

1) re.lua, from the LPeg package:

source size:			  6286
binary size:			128864
binary size without debug info:   4934

2) SHA2.lua (as available in the Lua wiki):

source size:			  8827
binary size:			170111
binary size without debug info:   6049

(Keep in mind that configuration files probably have quite different
profiles.)

(I do not know how debug information can consume so much space! Probably
this is worth some thought...)

-- Roberto