Looks very nice. I'm glad to see that there'll still be a good solution
for Lua serialization going forward. (And also that there's at least one
other person in the world who bought into my crazy-ass stack comment
style. ;-) )

Thanks! The commenting the stack layout this way is really useful to keep track of things, I'd go crazy without it ;)

One note -- is buff's memory being leaked in l_persist?

The actual memory is allocated in the local writer function as userdata on the stack, so it should in all cases be properly freed by the GC.

Florian