In fact, it has a name and implementation: 'existential operator' as
used in CoffieScript.  Works exactly as you would expect.

Thanks for the reference :)
But I suppose technically, what my hack implements is the "accessor variant" of CoffeeScript's existential operator.  When used in other contexts, CoffeeScript's question mark appears to do something quite different.

That's probably another good reason avoid turning '?' into a unary postfix operator -- doing so would badly confuse Ruby and CoffeeScript people :)

-Sven