On 12/7/2012 9:39 AM, martinwguy wrote:
On 7 December 2012 02:04, Elijah Frederickson wrote:
Lua Assembly Tools is a library, in pure Lua, for bytecode manipulation.

That-s interesting. Would that make it possible to optimize the
bytecode post-compilation, to rewrite constant expressions with a
constant value and so on? If so, do you know of any work in this area?

Oh yeah, it's a gleam in the eyes of many folks here, I think. :-) Unfortunately we have manpower constraints...

Personally I have not heard of anyone optimizing bytecode in this way, though. Given X hours, the benefits of bytecode -> bytecode processing are unclear. Tough to spend X hours on it...

I would prefer to spend time on optimization of source code rather than bytecode. The closest would be manipulating the AST in Metalua, but I dunno if anyone has done substantial work on this topic.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)