[things i learned from lua-l]

On Jun 18, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/2bo2un3
>
> (No, it is not off-topic.)

One thing I am always relearning: there is usually little need to comment on all foolishness. People who think foolish things about a subject are less likely to get anywhere technically or socially, making the problem somewhat self-limiting. They can find things out the hard way when they implement if they don't listen or research. There is the off chance I'm the one being foolish, but I can figure out why I was wrong after they succeed.

I find it difficult to say, "I don't know a solution to Issue X; it is a serious problem to me; I don't *need* to even guess at a solution until I really understand X." Usually "really understand X" turns out to include, "Other people are smart, and usually have a reason for what they say; figure out why, even if you think they're wrong."

In general, issues Y, Z, and Ω can be ignored. Somebody else can solve them.

Jay

(Today I also learned Gmail does not support case-sensitive filter rules.)