On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Geoff Leyland
<geoff_leyland@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 14/06/2012, at 11:24 AM, Chris wrote:
> Have you checked that?  I would hope that LJ would effectively inline the wrapper.  Ideally there's only the (smaller) performance hit of the add.  (I'm not saying it's the best solution in the world, just curious)

Yes, it's not horrible.  It's just "something" which I don't like
because I'm already bumping up against performance issues because of
the shear amount of data that is being pushed around.  At this point
almost all my overhead is in the management of all this data.

I think what I'm going to do is just wrap every FFI call for now and
hopefully some day there will be a solution.  I just tested using the
ffi.metatype stuff as a wrapper and it seems pretty fast.  A lot of
unnecessary types, allocations, and wrapping of data but possibly
acceptable for now depending on how many of these wrappers need to be
instantiated.

CR