On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:57 AM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Something like "We've got metric tonnes of JavaScript all over the
> place, and our tools are not coping. Let's add type annotations and
> see if it helps. Plus, we think people like classes"

yes, that's very Google-like.   they really like eclipse and similar IDEs.

> Put like that, it does sound a bit feeble.  Imagine the reaction
> around here if there was a proposal for type annotations in Lua!

I think that's one of the big features of LuaJIT 2.  You can use the
FFI to define types and get massive speedups.  Have you seen the
errors it spits when you use the wrong type?  I think it
backpropagates the type requirements and makes your functions
type-specific in many cases.

--
Javier