I agree that Forth is very efficient and I believe its philosophy has heavily influenced the design of virtual machines and "byte-code" intermediate systems. However the cost of this efficiency is to make the programmer think like a (very simplistic) computer while the purpose of a programming language is surely to produce computer code from an input language suited to human beings? I have done a lot of programming in assembly language particularly for microcontrollers and to be frank, I would choose assembly over Forth any day of the week and assembly has no runtime overhead at all! Hell, I'd even choose writing the machine code directly in hex!

I was also very impressed at first by the elegance, efficiency and minimalism of Forth, but quickly fell out of love when I actually had to do something non-trivial with it. I suspect its enthusiasts have never tried to deliver anything requiring more than a page of code or anything requiring long-term maintenance.

Lua makes a good teaching language because it uses the same conceptual framework as the vast majority of other "mainstream" languages out there while being minimalist, regular and flexible. Forth is certainly very minimalist, but its very difference makes it a poor choice as a grounding for training working programmers.