Asko Kauppi wrote:
> To take this thread ;) in a helthier direction...
>
> Can you please list such tasks, where built-in pre-emptive
> parallelism would have been useful.  My curiosity is as the author of
> Lanes, wanting to know what couldn't be achieved by the current,
> extension module based approach. "Certain tasks" was too vague.

Well, I've certainly wished for similar when writing systems that need
to run user-provided code at the same time as other user-provided code.

Also, while in most cases you could use co-routines, having a
pre-emptive system simplifies the programmer's task, and having them
implemented in the VM would yeild significantly better performance than
just using the OS's threads, I'd expect.

B.