> While doing this packaging work I've come to appreciate libtool, and I
> have to say I think it's not given the attention it deserves in the
> list's discussions on both building Lua itself and building Lua apps and
> binary modules.

We certainly do not want to rely on libtool for building Lua. Moreover,
we do not encourage building Lua (the library) as a .so... We do
encourage building lua (the interpreter) statically and exporting the
Lua API so that dynamic libs work fine with it.

> I could probably make a similar argument for the pkg-config tool.

Lua 5.1 does include etc/lua,pc. Feedback on this is appreciated.
--lhf