Its almost there :)

concider this class (C++)

class TLuaSocket
{
    // Function reads iDataSize bytes from a socket and place it in pData, pData
    // must be allocated by calling lua program so we get proper
garbage collection

    int Read(char *pData,int iDataSize);
}

Now, lets pretend that I complied this with tolua++, then I could
write a lua snippet like this and execute it

socket = TLuaSocket:new()
a = string.rep(" ", 1024)
socket:Read(a,1024);
print(a)

Its vey possible that I've missed some vital point here, but is this
(string:rep(x.y)) the _only_ way to allocate a char buffer in lua  ?

/RA