Edgar Toernig wrote:

> Björn De Meyer wrote:
> > [about UTF-8 isalpha]
> > I would consider any valid character outside
> > the 7 bit ANSI range as "alphabetical", or more precisely,
> > as acceptable for an identifier name.
>
> Oh, International Obfuscated Lua Code Contest?!?
>
> Sorry, but that's silly.
>
> Ciao, ET.

Well, the characters in that lofty Unicode range
between 127 and 2^31 can most all be useful
to in identifier names. Japanese, Korean, etc,
identifiers may look quite obfuscated to us westerners.
But, to the people who use  non-western languages,
our roman characters look just as foreign.

If you want to use LUA for as a simple configuration
file tool, then having localised identifier names
may be especially useful. However, I can agree that
if you use LUA for proper programming, then
"funny" identifier names can make the program harder
to read. So, what I propose is probably
best off as a nonstandard extension to LUA.

Daniel Remar.
Björn De Meyer
bjorn.demeyer@pandora.be