Another suggestion: stop settag returning a value. Functions that return
the value of one of their arguments is a C-ism, like assignments returning
the value of the assigned quantity. It's a way to write nasty code.

In particular, with settag it's not obvious which value you get back. If I
were writing or reading code in this way, I'd probably have to check the
manual every time I read (or wanted to write)

t2 = settag(t, tag)

or

return settag(t, tag)

or somesuch.

In both cases, the alternative is much clearer:

settag(t, tag)
t2 = t

or

settag(t, tag)
return t

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/
penitent, a.  undergoing or awaiting punishment (Bierce)