I had this problem when I was running Windows as well, and it annoyed
me to no end. I mostly use Linux now, but I think that lua-u8w
(https://github.com/nathancorvussolis/lua-u8w) at least allowed me to
open files with non-ASCII characters in their paths, so it's worth a
try if you can figure out how to compile it. There are Visual Studio
files in the repository, and I somehow managed to compile in Visual
Studio, even though I don't really understand how the program works.

— Gabriel